The Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS) in partnership with the SC4SDG Project of UNDP Bangladesh and UNDP-UNEP Poverty-Environment Action held a capacity-building training workshop at BRAC CDM, Rajendrapur, Gazipur, Bangladesh on 15-17 October 2020. As many as 49 participants including SDG Focal Points from 19 relevant line ministries and divisions joined the workshop. The training facilitated different sessions on the collection, analysis, and reporting of the environment, climate change, and disaster management indicators, with a special focus on metadata for SDG indicator 17.14.1 (policy coherence for SDGs).
The objectives of the training programme are:
(1) To identify the current data and analytical gaps in high priority areas as well as future needs and opportunities regarding environmental statistics in Bangladesh;
(2) To facilitate Ministries/ Divisions/ Departments/ Organizations exchange of knowledge and lessons learned regarding collecting, using, and sharing environmental data and indicators according to environmental metadata in support of integrated assessments and reporting on the SDGs and required others environmental frameworks;
(3) To enhance the ability of Ministries/ Divisions/ Departments/ Organizations to monitor, share and report environmentally relevant statistical data and information in relation to national plans, frameworks and agreements; and
(4) To develop the key elements of a plan to address current data and analytical gaps, and future needs and opportunities.
At the end of the workshop, the following outcomes are expected to be achieved.
- Enhanced knowledge regarding the national situation for environmental monitoring, management, and reporting in Bangladesh, including existing approaches and challenges to effective data sharing;
- Insights into effective processes, systems, institutions, and structures required to put in place initiatives relating to the environment and SDG monitoring and reporting;
- Improved knowledge of capacity development and to achieve integrated environmental /SDG data management and reporting;
- Strengthened knowledge, understanding, and skills for environmental monitoring and reporting; and
- Developed capacity on strategic pathways and priority actions for multi-sectoral environmental data collecting, analyzing, monitoring, management, and reporting.
This is the first of the series of three training workshops where the SC4SDG project will be supporting the Government of Bangladesh for the development of the capacity of public officials to generate the metadata for policy coherence.